Friday, April 3, 2009

Photoshop Action 1

High school summer jobs. My friend Nanette always tried to convince me to be life guard with her, my pasty white skin was always jealous of her nice tan. We both worked at Lagoon, a local amusement park, she worked in the glowing sunlight of the water park and I spent my summer in the red hue of the darkroom at the Old Fashioned Photo Parlor. It was awesome! They had a dark room and large format cameras. Needless to say I was hooked. A couple years ago my friend Michelle wanted her little sister to have my same job at Lagoon. Through her I learned that they had gone digital, as has most of the world. Photoshop has become the darkroom of digital photography. My schooling at BYU taught me both. I always felt like I knew my way around the darkroom and around Photoshop. Until lately.... Since shooting more and more weddings I find myself around more and more photographers. A couple weeks ago I found myself having this conversation.

her, "What actions do you use?"
me, "Actions?"
her, "You know actions, you use them in Photoshop. You know what Photoshop is, right."
me....please don't make me punch you, "Yeah, I know what Photoshop is."
her, "you know you use them on your Photographs and they do cool things. Like I really want this action that does....."
me, "oh, I guess I just do that in Photoshop."

So I decided that I had better figure out what actions were and how to use them. Once I saw what they were and how to make them I decided to make my own. Bellow is an action that I made. I actually like to use actions now. If any other photographer out there doesn't know what an action is, like I didn't, I would love to chat and get you up to speed. For the rest of you feel free to download my action for free. Check back regularly for more actions. I hope to do a post once a week with a free action, so follow my blog (add me at the bottom of this page) and don't miss out.

You can scroll over the photo below to see the action "in action."


4 comments:

Alisha Stamper April 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

hey mama! glad you did this. the action brings out the detail in the shadows really well.

Tara April 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

I love actions!! I'll keep up with yours!

Folks Photography April 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

love the story, love the sarcasm, love the action! i have yet to post my actions but i couldn't live without them! they make my life bliss! hit me up for some awesome sites that have free actions! woo hoo!

Bobby Earle April 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM  

Way to share!

About Me

My photo
Salt Lake City, UT, United States
I take photos. Lots of them. I need to buy a new external hard drive so that I can contain all of them.

About This Blog

This is where I post photos I take--some as part of my business and some as part of my daily life. I keep a more serious business website at http://slcphotobooth.com, but I use this to keep people updated on things that I'm doing. I love to hear from people near and far who are both amateur and professional photographers.

My contact information is on my slcphotobooth.com page. If you have any questions, comments, or just want to talk photography drop me an email. If you're a photographer in Salt Lake City area, please feel free to give me a call and we'll have lunch. Thanks for stopping by.

Followers

  © Template by Creator 2008

Back to TOP